The 2023 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction took place on December 23, 2022, in Kochi, India. A total of 405 players went under the hammer, including 273 Indian and 132 overseas players. The 10 franchises had a total of Rs 206.50 crore purse left.
England all-rounder Sam Curran, who was purchased by the Punjab Kings for Rs 18.50 crore, was the most expensive player at the auction. Ben Stokes ($16.25 million to Chennai Super Kings), Mayank Agarwal ($8.25 million to Sunrisers Hyderabad), Harry Brook ($8.25 million to Sunrisers Hyderabad), and Cameron Green ($17.50 million to Mumbai Indians) are some other prominent players who were sold for large sums of money.
Many players bid above their estimated price during the hectic auction. This is a symptom of the IPL’s rising popularity and the rising need for players of the highest caliber.
What you need to know about the 2023 IPL Auction:
On December 23, 2022, in Kochi, India, the IPL auction for 2023 will take place. A total of 405 players, comprising 273 Indian and 132 foreign players, will be auctioned off. A total of Rs 206.50 crore remains for the ten franchisees.
Sam Curran, an all-around player for England, is probably going to be the most expensive player in the auction. World-class athlete Curran can field, bowl, and bat. He has also demonstrated his abilities in the IPL, where he took home the Orange Cap in 2018.
Other players who could go for big money include Cameron Green, Ben Stokes, Mayank Agarwal, and Harry Brook. All of these players are in the prime of their careers and are capable of match-winning performances.
Here is a list of the top 5 most expensive players in the 2023 IPL auction:
- Sam Curran (England) – Rs 18.50 crore
- Cameron Green (Australia) – Rs 17.50 crore
- Ben Stokes (England) – Rs 16.25 crore
- Mayank Agarwal (India) – Rs 8.25 crore
- Harry Brook (England) – Rs 8.25 crore
The 2023 IPL auction was a success, with all of the players finding franchises. The franchises will now be looking to build their teams around the players they have bought, and they will be hoping to win the IPL title in 2023.
Auction in IPL, how it works?
The IPL auction is a process by which the 10 IPL teams bid for the services of players. The auction is held once a year, before the start of the season.
The auction process is as follows:
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) releases a list of players who are eligible for the auction. This list includes players from all over the world, including India, England, Australia, South Africa, and the West Indies.
- The 10 IPL teams submit their bids for the players. The bids are confidential and are not disclosed to the public.
- The player with the highest bid is sold to the team that made the bid.
- The process continues until all of the players have been sold.
There are a few rules that the teams need to follow during the auction:
- Each team has a maximum budget that they can spend on players.
- Teams are not allowed to spend more than 75% of their budget on players.
- Teams must have a minimum of 18 players and a maximum of 25 players in their squad.
- Teams must have at least 12 Indian players in their squad.
- Teams can have a maximum of 8 overseas players in their squad.
The IPL auction is a very exciting event, as it is a chance for teams to bolster their squads with the best players in the world. It is also a great opportunity for players to showcase their skills and earn a lucrative contract.
Here are some of the benefits of the IPL auction:
- It provides a platform for players from all over the world to compete against each other.
- It helps to develop the game of cricket in India.
- It generates revenue for the BCCI and the IPL teams.
- It is a very entertaining event for fans.
The IPL auction is a unique and exciting event that helps to make the IPL one of the most popular sporting leagues in the world.
The IPL auction in 2023 is going to be a lot of fun. The franchises will be keen to hire the many top players who will be up for auction. It will be intriguing to observe which players pursue lucrative contracts and which organizations are able to assemble the greatest rosters.
The 2023 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction is one of the most anticipated events in the cricketing calendar. It is a chance for franchises to bolster their squads with the best players in the world. The auction is also a great opportunity for players to showcase their skills and earn a lucrative contract.